Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Early January Musings

It's early January and the late December snow is slowly melting as we await the next winter blast we are told will arrive at the end of this week.  I can't control the weather any more than I can control the schedule of the men who plow our snow covered streets or pick up our garbage.  I can't control the US Congress or the NJ Sate Legislature, even though I did vote in the last election.  Is it me or are there others out there who are tired of the partisanship squabbling between the Republicans and the Democrats, oh, and now the Tea Party?  If you read the news or follow it on TV, we are headed to Armageddon regardless of who votes for what and what comes up for a vote.  Here are a few examples:

An op-ed piece in this morning's local paper (what a rag!) points out that baby boomers, the first of us turning 65 this year, will either have to keep working or bankrupt Social Security and Medicare.  And this generation of Baby Boomers will in effect be reaching 65 for the next 19 years!

The republicans want to repeal the Health Care Reform Act.  OK, but the Dems say that will cost significant dollars.  I have no idea as to the economics of keeping it or repealing it, but there are some things in the law that are appealing.  For example, coverage for pre-existing conditions.  That sounds good to me.  I guess that costs money.  What did these people do before the law was enacted?  I hope they did not suffer in this greatest nation on earth.  The first vote for repeal is January 12th.  Stay tuned.

Hopefully, there will be a spirit of cooperation among the parties and every once in a while even some compromise.

Now on to New Year Resolutions!  As I have many times in prior New Year's, I am going to get fit and lose some weight.  My goal in 2011 is to get to the gym at least 150 days this year and to weigh no more than 200 pounds when next the ball drops.  My starting weight is more than 200 pounds.  When I achieve my goal, I will look at least a little different I am sure.  A few more goals:  get out of NJ and retire!  I may burden Social Security and Medicare, but I will do my best to live up to my part of the bargain between me and the Fed.  One last goal, Peace and Love to my wonderful family and friends.  And yes, if Jody comes knocking, I will answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment